- AA Home
- Membership overview
- Breakdown assistance
- Benefits & discounts
- Membership options and fees
- Renew your AA Membership
- Business Membership
- AA Directions
- AA Smartfuel homepage
- How it works
- Where to shop
- Redeem at BP or Caltex
- Join as a retailer
- Contact & help
- Cars overview
- Licensing, safety & fees
- Buying & selling a car
- Cars for sale
- Car reviews
- Motoring blog
- Ask an expert (AA Members only)
- Drivers overview
- New Zealand driver licences
- Learn to drive the AA way
- Fully licensed drivers
- Driver training for fleets and businesses
- Driving instructor training
- Prepaid driving lesson, simulated driving test & DDC vouchers
- Learn to drive videos
- Speaking up for drivers
- Travel overview
- Explore NZ
- Time & distance calculator
- Transport and rentals
- Things to see and do
- Visitors to NZ
- International travel
- Travel insurance
- + Maps
- Insurance overview
- Car & vehicle insurance
- Home & contents insurance
- Life cover
- Funeral cover
- Cancer care
- Accidental death
- Accident recovery
- Living expenses cover
- Life insurance basics
- Life insurance policies
- Customer stories
- About AA Life
- Making a claim
- Contact AA Life
- Ram and lamb competition
- Travel insurance
- Mechanical breakdown insurance
- + Finance
- About overview
- Work or partner with us
- The AA
- Events & affiliations
Safety on the roads
- Decade of Action
- Safer drivers
- Safer vehicles
- Safer roads
- Safer speeds
- AA Research Foundation
- + Contact us
- Site information overview
Terms and conditions
- AA Carfair
AA Driving School
- Driving lesson vouchers
- Defensive Driving Courses online booking
- Driving School voucher & booking terms and conditions
- AA Ignition (3 free driving lessons) booking terms and conditions
- AA Driving School voucher terms and conditions
- Visiting Driver Training Programme terms and conditions
- AA road code practice test terms and conditions
- AA Finance
- AA Life $50 Prezzy Card – Full Terms and Conditions
- AA Life $250 Prezzy Card prize draw – Full Terms and Conditions
- AA Membership Offer to current AA Members – Terms and Conditions
- AA Life $50 Countdown Gift Card – Full Terms and Conditions
- AA Life ROKT promotion Terms and Conditions - Life Cover
- AA Life ROKT promotion Terms and Conditions - Funeral Cover
- AA MBI
- AA Pre Purchase Inspection
- AA Smartfuel
- AA Thrifty Car Rentals
- AA Tours and Cruises
- AA Vehicle History Reports
- AA Vehicle Valuation Reports
- Accommodation bookings terms & conditions
- AA Motoring Battery Service
- AA Shop
Respecting your privacy and personal information
1. Our Philosophy
The New Zealand Automobile Association Inc ("AA"), consider protection of your privacy to be of utmost importance and are committed to providing you with a personalised service that meets your requirements in a way that safeguards your privacy. We appreciate the trust you have placed in us and this policy explains how we may collect information about you and then use it in order to satisfy your particular requirements. It also outlines some of the security measures that we take in order to protect your privacy and gives certain assurances on things that we will not do.
Receiving Information From Us
When we first obtain personal information from you, or when you take a new service from us, we will give you the opportunity to indicate if you do or do not (as applicable) wish to receive information from us about other services or products. Normally this will be done by way of a tick box on an application form or contract.
If you want to update or correct information held by us, including contact preferences, you can call our Membership line toll free on 0800 500 444 (8am to 7pm, Monday to Friday--and 9am to 5pm,Saturday and Sunday). Or, you can change this information online. Click on 'My AA' and follow the instructions.
2. Collection of Information
We may collect personal information from you in a number of ways, including:
- When you agree to take a service from us. This may include your contact details, date of birth, payment method and possibly bank details;
- When you contact us with an enquiry, or in response to a communication from us, in which case this may tell us something about your preferences;
For details on how we secure personal information provided online, see Security Information.
3. Use Of Information
What We Will Do
We may use personal information about you for a number of purposes, including:
- To help to identify you when you telephone us to make an enquiry. For example, by asking we may ask you for your date of birth or telephone number so that we can avoid disclosing information to a person who is not authorised by you to receive it
- To respond to enquiries from you
- To help administer and contact you about improved administration of any accounts, services and products provided by us previously, now or in the future
- To help prevent or detect fraud or loss
- To contact you by any means (including mail, email, telephone or text messages) about other services or products, where we think you would appreciate receiving an offer from us
- Carrying out marketing analysis and profiling and creating statistical and testing information
Whether or not you have opted out in relation to use of your information for direct marketing, it is our practice to search the mailing, telephone, fax and email preference services (as applicable) so that if you have registered your details with those services you will not receive any direct marketing material from us via that channel.
In some circumstances, we may do certain credit checks with licensed credit reference agencies when you apply to take a service or product. If this is applicable, then it will be stated in our terms and conditions of business.
What We Won't Do
We will not:
- Send you communications that you do not expect to receive as part of your Membership subscription
- Disclose your personal information (unless authorised to do so)
- Sell/rent contact information lists to parties who are not part of our business
4. Disclosure of Information
We may disclose information we hold about you to third parties where AA has contracted those third parties for the purpose of providing services you have requested, or as part of the process of sale of one or more of our businesses, or where legitimately requested for legal or regulatory purposes, as part of legal proceedings or prospective legal proceedings.
We, and other third-party credit organisations, may also access information about you:
- To help make decisions on credit, or credit related and insurance proposals and claims for you and other members of your household; and
- To check your identity to prevent money laundering unless other satisfactory proof of identity is provided.
5. Protection of Information
We maintain strict security measures in order to protect personal information. This includes following certain procedures, for example to check your identity when you telephone us, encrypting data on our web sites and in order to ensure compliance with all applicable legal requirements. For details on how we secure personal information provided online, see Security Information.
6. Access to Personal Information
The Privacy Act 1993 gives you the right to access and correct personal information held by us. Your information is held securely and will not be disclosed to any other person or organisation unless authorised by you. To access your personal information call our Membership line toll on free on 0800 500 444, visit an AA Centre, or by using 'My AA', our online Membership services tool, which provides access to a limited amount of personal information and services.
When you contact us to make changes, by phone, online or at an AA Centre, we will need to verify that you are the Member authorised to obtain and update personal information. We will therefore ask you for your Membership number (the 16-digit number found on your AA Membership card), surname and date of birth.
If you do not have your Membership number with you, or have lost your Membership card you will not be able to access the online functions. If you ring the Membership line or visit an AA Centre, you will then be asked for your surname and address in order to find your record and then your date of birth to verify your identity.
If your date of birth is not listed on your AA Membership record, you will be asked to provide it when you ring the AA Membership call centre, or if you visit an AA Centre. This is for your security, as the date of birth is used as a password to control access to your information over the phone, at AA Centres and online.
7. The Internet
If you communicate with us via the Internet, we may occasionally use email to contact you about our services and products. When you first provide personal information to our Web Site we will normally give you the opportunity to indicate whether you would prefer us not to contact you in this way. However, you can always send us an email at any time to change your preferences.
Please be aware that communications over the Internet, such as emails/webmails, are not secure unless they have been encrypted. Your communications may route through a number of countries before being delivered. This is the nature of the World Wide Web/Internet. We cannot accept responsibility for any unauthorised access or loss of personal information that is beyond our control. For details on how we secure personal information provided online, see Security Information.
We may use 'cookies' to monitor website user traffic patterns and site usage. They help us to understand how our customers and potential customers use our web sites so that we can develop and improve the design, layout and functionality of the sites. A cookie is a piece of information that is stored on your computer's hard drive and which records your navigation of a web site so that, when you revisit that web site, it can present tailored options to you based upon the stored information about your last visit. You can normally alter the settings of your browser to prevent acceptance of cookies.
We may use third-party advertising companies to serve ads on our behalf. These companies may employ cookies and action tags (also known as single pixel gifs or web beacons) to measure advertising effectiveness. Any information that these third parties collect via cookies and action tags is completely anonymous. You can find out more information about this practice and your choices.
If you do not want us to deploy cookies in your browser, you can set your browser to reject cookies, or to notify you when a website tries to put a cookie on your computer. However, rejecting cookies may affect your ability to use some of the products and/or services at our website.
10. Monitoring of Calls
We may monitor and record communications we receive. This may be done to improve the service which we provide, to ensure compliance with our practices and procedures and where, for example, a contract is entered into by that means, to provide evidence of the transaction.
11. Credit Card Details
When you join the AA or renew your existing Membership online, your personal information and credit card details are loaded into our secure Membership database and not held on our web server.
Credit card details are retained indefinitely when you elect to pay Membership renewals annually using that payment method, otherwise for one off payments we are required by tax law to retain remittance details for two years. For details on how we secure personal information provided online, see Security Information.
12. Further Information
The Association Secretary
P O Box 5
This Policy applies to personal information held about individuals. It does not apply to information we hold about companies and other organisations.
The Office of the Privacy Commissioner has further details of the New Zealand Privacy Act and how it protects personal information in New Zealand.